The Report was published on 17 December, 2019. It was prepared by Subgroup 1 of the IOTA Forum on Implementation of Measures to Counter Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS). The report contains examples of practices in the effective treatment of tax ruling information from 26 IOTA members and provides suggestions to:
- enhance the process of compulsory spontaneous exchange of information on tax rulings;
- improve the quality, consistency and content of the tax rulings summaries exchanged; and
- ensure the appropriate and effective use of tax ruling information received.
Since the beginning of the exchange of information on tax rulings along the guidelines of BEPS Action 5 and DAC3, thousands of individual pieces of information have been shared between the participating countries with even more countries aspiring to follow and join the process. To support IOTA member tax administrations without previous experience in making a successful start and to promote pioneering states in exploiting their full potential in exchanging information on tax rulings, IOTA invited its member countries to participate in an evaluation of the exchange of tax ruling information process with a view to improving the effective treatment of tax ruling information.
Subgroup 1 of the IOTA Forum on Implementation of Measures to Counter BEPS was mandated to collect experiences, approaches and best practices of IOTA member tax administrations concerning the practical implementation of the minimum standard of BEPS Action 5 on Harmful Tax Practices. This report provides IOTA member countries with effective solutions to improve the process of exchanging tax ruling information and to facilitate and ensure the appropriate use of tax ruling information for risk assessment purposes, benefiting from the experiences of participating IOTA member countries.
For IOTA member tax administrations:
- If you would like to know more about this Report and the work of Subgroup 1 or BEPS itself, please contact the IOTA Secretariat via email Secretariat@iota-tax.org .
- IOTA members can access the Report on the secured IOTA website.